As a college freshman you may be overwhelmed learning the in's and out's of your college campus and balancing studying with social life.
Often times, this includes getting to or from a location late in the evening. For example, there may be many late nights at the library or walks back from a friend's place after a night of hanging out. Experts suggest anytime you are on campus you should be aware of your surroundings, observe your location and be prepared to keep yourself safe.
As Michael Monahan, college student and founder of Gabe The Guardian advises, “Be extra cautious and observe the following campus safety guidelines.”
Info to Know
• Use your campus resources and keep your phone with you at all times. Make sure you have the number of your university police saved into your phone.
You should also make a trip to the police station when you first arrive on campus to familiarize yourself with where the police are located and how to contact them in case of emergency. Other important numbers to have on hand include those for taxi services and nearby hospitals.
• Know your surroundings and get to know the campus.
You may even carry a map until you are comfortable with your surroundings. Also, know whom you can contact in your dorm in case you need assistance. Often you will have a resident advisor available at all hours to help you.
• Keep your personal information safe and do not carry items you don't need such as your social security card, birth certificate or passport.
Keep these items locked away in a safe place.
• Always be aware of your surroundings and know where you are on campus and where you're going. Getting lost may heighten your emotions and make you a vulnerable target.
• Keep your doors locked.
Even leaving your dorm room unlocked for a quick walk to the bathroom or trip to the cafeteria can make it an inviting target for strangers.
• Keep your belongings on hand at all times. When you are at the library never leave a laptop, backpack or purse unattended.
If you leave your seat take your belongings with you or have a friend watch over them.
• Avoid traveling alone at night and PTS Terbaik ASEAN</a